I’m a little bit prone to frequent bouts of stupidity.
I know, I know, you’re shocked. No one saw that coming.
My morning went as follows:
1) Get woken at 6am by housemate noisily eating breakfast outside my bedroom window.
2) Attempt to fix loofah that has come away from the handle while I shower. Handle slips, and I stab myself in the forehead. I have a bruise. Seriously.
3) Figure I really need a cup of coffee. Recount previous story to my barista, who giggles, and draws this on my lid.
4) When I finally make it to my desk, I proceed to wear the first mouthful of coffee. Start to get ragey, as this is ridonkulous.
5) Blueberry yoghurt for breakfast. Which ended up all over my chin. After cutting myself on the foil lid.
I’m trying to stay very still, so not to provoke the gods.
Then there was the weird need to Christmas shop. I hate Christmas shopping, so I can’t explain where it came from, or why I felt the need to do it on a day when I’d caught the train to work, and had to lug it all home.
The only thing dumber than that, was deciding that I was also too lazy to go home, get the car, and go to the supermarket.
Surely I could just carry it all home, right?
36 hours later, I finally regained feeling in one of my fingers after I pinched a nerve.
Now, I’m going to admit something here.
By the time I made it to the supermarket, I was doing my level best not to have a minor meltdown. I had this plan to give you a stern lecture about making things from scratch because it tastes better and it’s good for you and there’s no badstuffandblahblahfreakinblah… Screw it. It’s late, I’m tired, and I just want to eat so I can pass out.
I love this recipe. It’s like burritos, but better. It’s fast, it’s meaty, cheesey deliciousness and cures what ails ya*.
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 large red onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
500g beef mince
1 small red capsicum, finely chopped
1 400g tin of red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1tbsp tomato paste
1 packet of taco seasoning
1/2 cup torn fresh coriander leaves
1 packet of flour tortillas
1 1/2 cups grated tasty cheese
1 jar of salsa
1) Preheat oven to 180°C. Heat oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add garlic and onion to pan. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until soft. Add mince. Cook, breaking up mince with a wooden spoon, for 8 minutes or until browned.
2)Add capsicum, and taco seasoning. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until capsicum is just tender. Stir in tomato paste and kidney beans. Reduce heat to medium. Simmer, stirring, for 5 minutes or until mixture is thick. Add half the coriander. Season with salt. Stir to combine. Set aside for 10 minutes to cool.
3)Place a round springform pan on a baking tray. Place 1 tortilla in base of pan. Spread a spoonful of salsa, one-third of the mince mixture over tortilla. Sprinkle with a handful of cheese. Repeat layers with remaining tortillas, salsa, mince mixture and cheese, finishing with 1 tortilla. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
4) Bake for 15 minutes or until cheese is golden. Set aside for 5 minutes before removing from pan.
5)Serve with sour cream, and additional coriander leaves.
I have to recommend, as is my duty, that you should mix up your own spice mixes, make your own salsas. They do taste better, you know what you’re eating, it is better for you. But there are days where you really don’t give a rats about that. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.