How is it the end of September already? What the hell happened to the last nine months?
It’s been a tough one this year. Not just for me, it’s been a little bit of a rollercoaster for just about everyone. Is it a Saturn returns thing? Maybe. It feels like one of those things that is a little bit bigger than me. All you can do it just go with it.
Esquire publishes a series called What I Learned, and it’s been one of my favourite things since, well, I was an age where I wouldn’t get in trouble for reading Esquire. Then the videos came – Karlie did one, as did Rosianna, and well, I love a bandwagon. Let’s get on board!
- Fierce kindness is the only way.
- “Why the fuck not me?” should be your motto – Mindy Kaling
- Jam, then cream on scones. Otherwise, you’re a goddamn heathen.
- You’re never too old for dinosaurs. Or Lego. Or light-up sneakers. You can fight me on this.
- How good are broken hearts? I mean obviously, at the time, they’re the worst fucking thing in the world. But having a broken heart meant there was something to break in the first place, and I figure that having had love can only be a good thing, right?
- But when that broken heart has you all topsy turvy, Frida knows best.
- Say yes, and you’ll figure it out afterward. – Tina Fey
- Unless you want to say no, in which case, no is a full sentence. No buts, not explanations, just no.
- Food that can be eaten with your hands is the best food. Fried chicken, pizza, chicken nuggets, cake, I’m lookin’ at you.
- Learn to fight like a girl. (Also, sign up to Lenny as it is excellent, inspiring reading).
- There’s no such thing as a guilty pleasure. If it makes you happy, savour it.
- You are never too old for Disney movies and glitter. Punch anyone who tells you otherwise in the face. You don’t need that bullshit.
- Ask yourself before you get into any argument “Is this the hill you want to die on?”
- Breakfast foods at dinner. Always a good choice.
- Look after yourself first. Go have the awful, uncomfortable tests you’ve been putting off because you just don’t want to. It may save your life. It’s saving mine.
- Take the damn selfie. You look amazing.
- Never feel bad if the only thing you accomplished in a day was getting out of bed.
- Don’t be an asshole. That’s the only thing you have to do in this world. Not be an asshole.
- Fight for things that matter. Rights, love, family. Probably not parking spaces.
- A hot shower, clean sheets, and a good night’s sleep is always the answer.
- If #18 fails, a beer (or wine, or five.) in the sunshine.
- Everyone should visit their local observatory, and feel very very small. Go here or here. I promise you will LOVE it.
- My great-grandmother always told my mother that you should kiss your person goodbye before you leave the house – even if you’re angry, late, or sleeping – no matter what. You never know what will happen, so always always kiss your people goodbye.
- Bacon. Yes.
- Love yourself. Be kind to yourself.
- The best road trips begin with a bacon and egg McMuffin, pringles, and singing Free Fallin’ by Tom Petty at the top of your lungs. Optional: Life is a Highway.
- The best family is the one you build for yourself.
- Leslie Knope always has the answers. Also, please watch Parks and Rec.
- 30-second dance party. Instant mood booster. Go on, shake it off.
- Find your people. Your girl gang. Your squad. Yout tribe. Your coven. Your pack. Love them hard, because they will always have you.
You guys are the best. Thank you for sticking with me.