I say this every year, but this is always my favourite post to write. Christmas is coming faster and faster, so while I know you want to pretend you’ve got time, it’s probably a better idea to start writing your list now!
The importance of supporting small or local businesses, especially at this time fo year, can not be overstated. Get out there and show love to the people who put their heart and souls into their work.
This year I’ve got a bigger list of markets than ever before, there’s an online retailer section for those last-minute or time-poor shoppers and a list of my favourite cookbooks which will actually get used, promise (put down the Manu Feildel, please).
Not only can you pick up tons of delicious stocking stuffers for those last minute invites to Christmas lunch, but Sue also runs workshops for those wanting to learn a little more about the magic that is chocolate.
These guys make killer spirits out of a warehouse in West Perth. A bottle of their negroni makes a great backup gift, their gin is delicious and you can drop in and have a chat to the guys on a Wednesday evening to see how it all goes down.
I talk about my love for Kelsie’s work often, but guys, she does subscription boxes now! Delicious deliveries of paper goods every month are just what the doctor ordered.
Rebecca is one of Perth’s most in-demand florists and floral designers, and for good reason – her work is spectacular. Her workshops (including wreath making!) sell out quickly, so get in fast.
Comics are no longer the exclusive domain of little boys. With exceptional storytelling, diverse characters, and beautiful art, there is most definitely something for everyone. The gentlemen at Comiczone will happily make suggestions if you need guidance or order things in for you, all while providing some of Perth’s best customer service (trust me, I’m in there most weeks!). If you’re looking for ideas, try here or here.
Home to beautiful locally made jewelry, Grace + Scarper also have an option to personalise their pieces with names, dates or coordinates that have a special meaning to you – gentlemen, this is your new go-to.
This sweet little store in Inglewood is full of sweet bits and pieces for office Secret Santa, male grooming products for your hipster cousin’s excellent beard or your cool aunt who’s into Frida Kahlo.
Your luxe-loving sister-in-law will adore just about anything from Mariposa. Fragrances, beauty, and candles everywhere.
Stackwood is Perth’s best place to find beautiful plants, planters, and associated goods. They’re also running a whole bunch of workshops, so keep an eye out!
Got a hard-to-buy-for relative? Don’t we all? Send them along to one of the incredible events happening in February as part of PIAF.
- Squad Shop Market Sunday 13 November
- 6006 in the Park Sunday 13 November
- Polka Dot Vintage Market Saturday 12 and Sunday 13 November
- Subiaco Christmas Night of Lights Thursday 24 November
- Made Local Market Friday 25 November
- Perth UpMarket Sunday 27 November
- Mount Lawley Christmas Festival Sunday 27 November
- Kalamunda Village Christmas Market Saturday 3 December
- QV1 Christmas PopUpmarket Tuesday 6, Wednesday 7 and Thursday 8 December
If you’re time poor, or just need somewhere to start looking, these are great
- Jumbled Online: For the person in your life who loves colour, cactus or Iris Apfel.
- Melt Bake Shop: Your friend who dreams of being the next Katherine Sabbath.
- A Cup of Chic: Beautiful, minimalist gifts for your stylish friends and their kids.
- Notemaker: The most beautiful collection of journals, pens and cards.
- Stay at Home Club: For your inner introvert.
Boffins is hands down my most-loved book store, and they’re happy to help in any way they can. Plus, the smell of books there is intoxicating. Yes, I’m weird. No, I’m not sorry.
- Lamingtons and Lemon Tarts by Darren Purchese
- A Modern Way to Cook by Anna Jones
- The Cook’s Table by Stephanie Alexander
- Ottolenghi by Yotam Ottolenghi and Sami Tamimi
- Neighbourhood by Hetty McKinnon
- Appetites by Anthony Bourdain
If you have any other recommendations for stores or markets, please let me know! What have you asked Santa for this year?